C & J Coach Tours is an established company offering coach holidays, day excursions and coach hire in north Essex. Today the company is run by David & Tina Houghton. Since taking over the company in 2003 we have continued to operate coach holidays in Britain and mainland Europe, re-introduced a day excursion programme and purchased our own coach which gives us more control over what we do and how we do it.
Quality & Security
We take great pride in what we do and have set high standards. C & J Coach Tours is a member of the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT), the main organisation representing and advising the coach and bus industry. Membership provides us with up to date information so we are fully equipped to meet the latest regulations and benefit from the newest innovations. This then gives you, our customer piece of mind that we at C & J Coach Tours are committed and dedicated to the highest standard of coach operations.
In accordance with the EC Package Holiday Regulations, C & J Coach Tours is insured through Wrightsure, which protects clients’ money in the unlikely event of the financial failure of the company.
We are pleased and proud to announce that for 2017 we have a NEW COACH – a Mercedes-Benz Tourismo, one of the most successful coaches on European roads.
At over £320,000 this is a big investment for us and one that brings improvements over our previous coach in terms of comfort, emissions, efficiency, and safety, thus helping C & J Tours to look to the future.
A nice wide entrance with shallow steps and plenty of grab handles make it easy to board and once inside the exceptionally spacious and friendly design of the interior of the Tourismo provides a feeling of being at ease. The coach is fully carpeted, has a toilet/washroom, hot and cold drinks facilities and whatever the temperature outside, inside the Tourismo it is always pleasant thanks to convection heating and a powerful air conditioning system. All the seats recline, are fitted with lap-belts, arm rests, foot rests, fold down tables, magazine nets and the aisle seats have lateral movement to provide more space. Above each seat is an updated service set providing individual lighting using LED technology, ventilation and a speaker, making it easier to listen to the commentary from the courier. Our new coach also boasts SatNav, USB charging points at every seat and free WiFi. For your safety, security and insurance purposes the vehicle is also fitted with CCTV.
The driver also benefits from improvements. Mercedes-Benz has made every effort to design the Tourismo’s driver’s station to be as comfortable and ergonomic as possible. All switches and controls are ergonomically arranged and easy to reach with the coloured, easily legible display providing all the important information at a glance. This means that the driver can control everything with ease and therefore completely concentrate on the traffic situation.
Powered by the latest Mercedes-Benz Euro VI engine, the Tourismo is smooth and quiet on the road and not only meets the latest emission regulations set to be introduced in London, but its design is future orientated. It is also extremely efficient, using less fuel than our previous coach. In addition to the new engine, the Tourismo also benefits from the latest automated eight-speed PowerShift gearbox. Designed to give a smooth and quiet drive and also help to save on expensive fuel.
Our Tourismo is a three axle version, making it environmentally friendly as the weight of the coach on the road is spread over the three axles and not just two, as on our previous coach. The third axle is also steered making the coach extremely manoeuvrable and gives us a greater weight carrying capacity. Being slightly longer than our previous coach we can now offer 53 seats with ample leg room.
With comprehensive standard safety technology, the Tourismo is one of the safest coaches on the road. In addition to rapid-reaction disc brakes on each axle, a wealth of electronic features also act as guardian angels:
- All Mercedes-Benz coaches are fitted with electronic stability programme (ESP), designed to enhance driving safety and stability in unanticipated driving situations.
- A further aid is the advanced emergency braking system (AEBS) which ensures that the brakes respond more quickly and with greater precision when the driver presses the brake pedal, thus significantly reducing stopping distances. Using a radar system the brakes are also automatically applied if the system detects an obstruction in front of the vehicle and the driver takes no avoiding action.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) and traction control (ASR) also increase safety during braking and starting by preventing the wheels from locking up when braking and from spinning the wheels on starting even in adverse road conditions.
- All Mercedes-Benz coaches are fitted with a continuous braking limiter which continuously monitors the speed of the vehicle and avoids accidental exceeding of the speed limit. This increases safety on routes with a severe downhill gradient.
- The roll-pitch control system with electronically controlled shock absorbers, stabilises the vehicle automatically, thus enhancing road holding and also ensures first-class ride comfort.
- The lane departure warning system (LDW) detects any unintentional lane change with the aid of a camera system behind the windscreen. If the vehicle is about to cross any of the markings, the driver is alerted by a pulsation in the driving seat on the relevant side.
- A tyre pressure monitoring provides additional safety, warning of any deviations from the optimum pressure and preventing dangerous tyre damage.
- A fire detection and suppressant system is fitted to the engine bay.
Our new coach also comes with a full maintenance and repair service contract with OMNIplus, the service brand for Mercedes-Benz. With outstanding workshop competence, skilled and dedicated OMNIplus service personnel and the use of original parts and accessories, the service contract which involves six weekly inspections and annual servicing, ensures that our new coach is always kept in ‘tip-top’ condition, thereby maximising cost efficiency. OMNIplus offers one of the largest coach service networks in Europe, so we can be sure of receiving fast expert assistance in the event of any unscheduled stops.
With over 30 years in the coach industry, David has a vast experience and knowledge of the road and of dealing with the public. He uses this knowledge and experience to good effect in planning the itineraries for both the holidays and day excursions. David undergoes regular refresher training in customer care, responsible driving, changes in legislation and first aid. Along with his smart appearance and friendly attitude you can be sure you are in safe hands and will have an enjoyable holiday or day trip.